Sunday, January 22, 2012

Kopi Roti | with Julienne and Marc



kaya toast

kopi bun

french toast with soft boiled eggs

hot choco

Julienne and I

Julienne and Marc

I am sick for a couple of days now. Fever and cough. Huhu!
Yesterday, I have no class and I opted to stay home to rest. I slept throughout the day, woke up for a few minutes several times to answer Mama who's calling to check on me. 
I finally woke up at around 9pm. And with an empty stomach. My bestfriend Julienne called me up to check on me too and I said that I was sick and hungry. They came here in my apartment to bring some stuff and we went out.
It was already late so we figured to go to a coffee shop, I'll just order something that will fill me up.
Kopi Roti is only a few blocks away from home and so we went there.

Kopi Roti is a 57-year-old Singaporean coffee shop that serves a variety of Singaporean specialty beverages and breads. It has started its operation in the Philippines around August of 2005. It opened a branch here in Davao 2 years thereafter. Kopi means coffee and Roti means bread. So, it literally means coffee and bread, which they actually serve in their shop.

Julienne | Kaya toast + hot chocolate
Kaya toast is a thinly sliced toasted bread served with Kaya spread and butter. 
I tried this and I liked it. It's like a highly-densed cracker that is crispy yet tender at the same time. The spread is of the right richness and the taste is light and subtle, nothing is over empowering. 
Their hot chocolate is very authentic. You can actually taste the cocoa in it, not the sugar. As a matter to the fact, they don't add sugar to all of their beverages. What they do is they pour a liberal amount of condensed milk before they pour in your coffee, hot chocolate or tea in the cup. That's the white section you can see at the bottom of the cup in the picture.
Php 130

Marc | Kopi bun + hot chocolate
Kopi bun is a soft bread with coffee-flavored crust and has a sweet-buttery filling inside. This is Kopi Roti's house specialty and this separates them out of the rest of the coffee-shop scene.
Marc also gave me a quarter of the bun to try. The bread is really soft it's like melting in your mouth. And the filling is so heavenly. The crust tastes really like that of coffee and is albeit crunchy. This is the first of its kind that I tried and I love it. I kind of regretted that I didn't order this. Haha!
Php 115

Laserhenna | French toast and soft boiled eggs + hot chocolate 
Fresh bread dipped in egg batter, pan fried and served with Kaya spread. 2 soft boiled eggs in special soya sauce and white pepper.
I love eggs and french toast, thus the reason why I ordered this meal. The french toast was pretty ordinary, nothing special about it. On the other hand, the soft-boiled eggs are perfect. I love medium-rare eggs. I don't like the yolk cooked or in worst cases, overcooked and dry. I like it when the yolk oozes out when sliced and I love the texture of the yolk when paired with the bread. So, I loved this combination.
Php 150

Other choices: Kopi jelly, peanut butter toast, kaya puff, homemade iced tea and more.

Overall, Kopi Roti is above satisfactory putting everything into consideration: the ambiance of the shop, the service, the taste and satiety of food/drink served as well as the cost of the products.

Recommended! :) 

Kopi Roti
Ground floor, LZ Dental Center Bldg.,
Jacinto Ext., Davao City



No comments: